J.J. Abrams and Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman’s TV pilot Almost Human (formerly Human) is filming in downtown Vancouver’s Business District on West Hastings Street, transformed into a futuristic Los Angeles, for the second day in a row this weekend. Stars Karl Urban (Star Trek’s Bones) and Minka Kelly (Friday Night Lights) are on set as Los Angeles police officers at the crime scene of yesterday’s armoured vehicle heist.
Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman’s new TV pilot Almost Human (formerly Human) for FOX pays homage to Fringe in so many ways. The production uses many of the former Vancouver Fringe crew as well as its production signs BELLY. Some of the set dressing looks familiar too, but with a twist. Almost Human is about a futuristic Los Angeles where police officers are paired with android partners and stars Karl Urban (Star Trek’s Bones) as one of the human cops and Michael Ealy (Underworld Awakening) as an android cop. Neither actor was spotted in the downtown business district for the armoured car heist although they were on set. Almost Human turned the Guiness Tower into Division Tower and Oceanic Plaza into West Plaza and hired thirty or so PAs (production assistants) to control the set and 80 costumed extras to work as background for the heist with loud prop gunfire. Almost Human is a big for a pilot. Huge, in fact. Almost Human’s second unit filmed up on Galardi Way on Burnaby Mountain at the same time as the downtown shoot. The heist drew a crowd, who lined the Hastings pedestrian bridge to watch the action, leaving only enough room for the camera crew on the bridge.
Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman directing series finale in Vancouver Updated: April 12, 2013 Seven TV pilots start filming in Vancouver this month, spread out among… Read More »TV PILOTS: American TV Pilot Season Starts in Vancouver Today with Joel Wyman’s ALMOST HUMAN
- Sunday, December 2nd – Once Upon a Time mid-season finale. Queen of Hearts, 2×09, features Snow & Emma vs Cora & Hook in a fight for the compass. A Charming family reunion in Storybrooke. And two villains heading into Storybrooke on a pirate ship.
- Sunday, December 2nd – Whistler Film Festival wraps.
- Sunday, December 2nd – Glen Schaefer interview with Twilight scribe and Red Widow showrunner Melissa Rosenberg in the Province reveals Camille Sullivan is FBI agent in the Russian mob series.
- Saturday, December 1st – Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman reveals series finale episode title – An Enemy of Fate.
- Saturday, December 1st – 100th episode party for Fringe at Fairmont Pacific Rim with JJ Abrams, Joel Wyman, Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble, Jasika Nicole, Seth Gabel, Blair Brown and crew. Video of the party with interviews.
- Saturday, December 1st – Arrow Christmas Party. Photo by fight coordinator James Bamford.
- Saturday, December 1st – Twilight scribe and Red Widow showrunner Melissa Rosenberg honoured for her screenwriting at Whistler Film Festival.
- Friday, November 30th – American TV critics visit Stephen Amell in costume as Hood for Arrow on top of Bentall parkade downtown. Filming police raid overnight.
- Friday, November 30th – American TV critics visit Supernatural on set at start of filming episode 8×13.
- Friday, November 30th – HuffPost TV reports Gil McKinney cast as time traveller Henry in Supernatural episode 8×12 filmed partly in Gastown alley on Tuesday.
- Friday, November 30th –Arrow casts Spartacus star Manu Bennett as the man behind Deathstroke in the Island flashbacks.
- Friday, November 30th – Battlestar Galactica prequel Blood and Chrome with Ben Cotton — seventh and eighth webisodes online.
- Friday, November 30th – A&E releases two short teasers of Bates Motel to TVLine.
- Thursday, November 29th – Arrow films Katie Cassidy and Colin Donnell in Oceanic Plaza and a police station night shoot on Eveleigh near the Bentall Centre.
- Wednesday, November 28th -Filming of Supernatural‘s cartoontastic episode 8×8 featured new demon-hunting trio Sam & Dean & Cas photographed laughing in the Impala and a cartoon suicide off the Lumbermens’ Building.
- Wednesday, November 28th – So that was the Huntress`s stunt double on a motorcycle roarring towards me on a downtown sidewalk for Arrow episode 1×7. And Stephen Amell`s foot chase was done in two separate shoots.
- Wednesday, November 28th – Whistler Film Festival begins. Runs until December 2nd.
- Wednesday, November 28th – Sarah McLachlan holiday classic debuts on radio. My photos of music video shoot for Read More »WEEK: November 26 – December 2, 2012