- Sunday, April 21st – Continuum 2×01 debuts on Showcase. Invisible fighting at CBC Vancouver parking garage. Shown to be Kiera (Rachel Nichols) in her black high-tech cat suit. Mayor shot at Vancouver Public Library. Kiera meets Carlos (Victor Webster) at Vanier Park with the Burrard Bridge and West End as backdrop. And the crime scene for mayor shot at Vancouver Public Library with Kiera & Carlos on set. Kiera later investigates the kill shot with her head tech and points to the apartment it came from. Kiera and Alec (Erik Knudsen) talk at Vanier Park. And the final VFX by Artifex: a time lapse of sea level rising in English Bay and dam being built while West End skyline changes.
- Sunday, April 21st – Once Upon a Time 2×19 Lacey: Father-and-son (Bae & Henry) have play swordfight watched by grandfather Rumplestiltskin, who chooses that moment to tell Regina that Henry is his grandson. Regina takes revenge by turning Belle into her cursed self, the scantily-clad barfly Lacey. Plus unexpected guest star Jorge Garcia back as Anton and introducing Tom Ellis as Robin Hood and Wil Traval as the Sheriff of Nottingham.
- Sunday,April 21st – Deadline’s Primetime Pilot Panic: The Latest Buzz gives CBS pilot Intelligence a nod because of its “hunky actor” Josh Holloway & deems CBS pilot Backstrom with Rainn Wilson “a wild card”. Fox pilot Human with Karl Urban is called “strong”. ABC pilot Big Thunder & presentation OnceWonderland have buzz & preliminary good notices because in house. The CW pilot The 100 has lost steam but still in contention, Deadline says. But no mention of NBC pilot I Am Victor with John Stamos or The CW pilot Blink.
- Sunday, April 21st – Second day of Fan Expo Vancouver at Canada Place.
- Sunday, April 21st – Lord of the Rings actor & Fan Expo Vancouver guest Sean Astin wears Boston shirt in Vancouver Sun Run to honour the Boston Marathon victims
- Sunday, April 21st – Arrow wraps filming of its first hit season early in the morning.
- Saturday, April 20th – Arrow films fight scene with Stephen Amell on the Hudson’s Bay rooftop overnight. Photos to come.
- Saturday, April 20th – Simon Pegg’s Hector and the Search for Happiness wraps filming here after a three-day shoot (April 18-20) in a Yaletown penthouse.
- Saturday, April 20th – First day of Fan Expo Vancouver at Canada Place. YVRShoots series: Continuum panel & Cosplay.
- Friday, April 19th – Godzilla films at old paper recycling plant in Coquitlam on Fraser River.
- Thursday, April 18th – Supernatural wraps filming of season eight.
- Thursday, April 18th – Bravo pilot Rita with Anna Gunn films at the University of British Columbia.
- Thursday, April 18th – Continuum films at CBC Vancouver.
- Thursday, April 18th – PaleyFest announces Bates Motel evening on May 10th – Reimagining a Cinema Icon – with cast Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot, Nestor Carbonell, Olivia Cooke, Nicola Peltz and showrunners Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin.
- Wednesday, April 17th – Season two finale of Arctic Air goes interactive on CBC. Krista (Pascale Hutton) breaks up with Bobby (Adam Beach) at the airport. Read More »WEEK: April 15-21, 2013
- Sunday, February 10th – Once Upon a Time 2×13 Tiny airs with Jorge Garcia’s Anton the Giant held captive on Hook’s pirate ship and then rampaging through Storybrooke. Plus we learn Charming’s real name.
- Sunday, February 10th – Motive 1×2 airs on CTV with scenes of Kristin Lehman filmed in the Olympic Village.
- Sunday, February 10th – Battlestar Galactica prequel pilot Blood and Chrome starring Ben Cotton finally airs on Syfy. #ThereWillBeCylons.
- Saturday, February 9th – New survey says 3 out of 4 British Columbians strongly support government tax incentives to help the BC film & TV production industry. Global TV report #SaveBCFilm
- Saturday, February 9th – Vancouver-filmed hunting-accident-gone-wrong A Single Shot with Sam Rockwell debuts at Berlin International Film Festival
- Friday, February 8th – New York Times paid a set visit to Continuum in Squamish last week and came away impressed with Vancouver’s cop from the future series.
- Friday, February 8th – Deadline Hollywood confirms Chin Han (The Dark Knight) cast on Arrow as Frank Chen, an old friend of the Queen family and part of the nefarious group The Undertaking. This is the mysterious Asian man spotted at the Westin Bayshore Hotel shoot.
- Friday, February 8th – CW pilot The Hundred–100 juvenile delinquents sent back to Earth after nuclear war–appears on BC Production List. To film from March 14th to April 4th.
- Friday, February 8th – Once Upon a Time films in Lynn Canyon Park in North Vancouver.
- Friday, February 8th – TV Line reports Max Fowler (The Hour) cast as Twitch on season 3 of The Killing
- Thursday, February 7th – Once Upon a Time turns Gastown into Manhattan again to film scenes for 2×18 Selfless, Brave and True.
- Thursday, February 7th – Mayor Gregor Robertson talks #SaveBCFilm on Breakfast Television.
- Thursday, February 7th – Once Upon a Time films in Lynn Canyon Park in North Vancouver.
- Wednesday, February 6th – Psycho prequel Bates Motel with Freddie Highmore & Vera Farmiga wraps filming of its first season in Vancouver.
- Wednesday, February 6th – Arctic Air 2×5 has big fight scenes filmed in Langley Airport hangar with former amateur boxer Aleks Paunovic in the ring. Read More »WEEK: February 4-10, 2013
SHOOT: Josh Dallas, Ginnifer Goodwin & Colin O’Donoghue Filming on ONCE UPON A TIME Pirate Ship Set in Steveston for 2×13
While Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold, Emma, and Henry leave Storybrooke to find Rumple’s long-lost son Bae in Manhattan, Anton the Giant (Jorge Garcia) is held captive on Captain Hook (Colin O’Donoughue)’s pirate ship at the Storybrooke docks.
ABC shared some photos with TVLine last week of Charming and Snow (Ginnifer Goodwin) in a confrontation with Anton, the Giant on the ship. I arrived too late to see them filming these on the floating priate ship set at the Britannia Heritage Shipyard set in Steveston last December (I’d been downtown in Gastown watching OUAT’s first unit filming Manhattan scenes). I did get there in time to see Ginnifer Goodwin (wrapped in a red plaid blanket) come off the dock and pose for photos with waiting fans taken by Josh Dallas. Lucky fans.
Bringing the floating set back to dock.
Is Storybrooke offering weekly tours of Captain Hook’s pirate ship? It sure seems so. Ever since Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) and Cora (Barbara Hershey) sailed through a portal into this sequestered town in Maine at the end of the mid-season finale, we’ve seen a parade of townsfolk visiting the ship from the kidnapped Archie (Raphael Sbarge) to the uninvited RumBelle (Robert Carlyle & Emilie de Ravin) to the kidnapped Giant (Jorge Garcia), who’ll show up when the show returns with new episodes in February.
I’ve also spotted Charming (Josh Dallas), Snow (Ginnifer Goodwin), Emma (Jennifer Morrison), Henry (Jared Gilmore), Grumpy (Lee Arenberg), Regina (Lana Parrilla) and others too spoilery to mention on board since late last year when Once Upon a Time started filming scenes on this new floating set at the Britannia Heritage Shipyard Park in Steveston south of Vancouver.
The priate ship set is a truncated version of the Tall Ship Lady Washington which first appeared in Fairytale Land flashbacks of Captain Hook on his pirate ship — the Lady Washington is the exact same ship used in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie when it was known as the HMS Interceptor, the fastest ship in the Caribbean. It looked magnificent as Captain Hook’s ship sailing up Howe Sound Read More »SET: ONCE UPON A TIME Films on its Floating Pirate Ship Set in Steveston
FE FI FO . . RUN! Three weeks from tonight, The Giant (Jorge Garcia) is back with a huge grudge and he’s unleashing his vengeance on the town of Storybrooke — after being kidnapped and brought there by Cora. He looks as angry as ever but maybe not so giant size.
I watched Jorge Garcia in costume do a scene of Anton the Giant furiously stomping along the street as cars swerved out of his way, filmed on a rainy December morning on Moncton Street in Steveston. Later, Once Upon a Time crew shot scenes of townsfolk running away from The Giant in terror as Charming (Josh Dallas) and Snow (Ginnifer Goodwin with a bow and quiver of arrows on her back) stand their ground.
- Sunday, January 20th – The Giant is Back. Once Upon a Time promo for 2×13 Tiny & my photos of Jorge Garcia as the Giant in Steveston. Airs in three weeks on February 10th.
- Sunday, January 20th – Once Upon a Time airs 2×12 In the Name of the Brother featuring black-and-white Frankenstein flashbacks and the present-day problem of an outsider in Storybrooke
- Friday, January 18th – Fringe‘s stunning 2-hour series finale. 5×12 Liberty features Broyles (in Harbour Green Park) telling Fringe team that boy being held in detention at Liberty Island; Olivia suggesting she bypass security by crossing over to alt-universe Liberty Island; Walter hauling out cracked Window into Another World to see what Liberty Island (in Coal Harbour) looks like in alt-universe 2036; Olivia getting painful injections of cortexiphan and then crossing over & getting unfriendly welcome at Fringe Division HQ (Vancouver Public Library); Fauxlivia getting call about Olivia while out to dinner (at Rice ‘N Spice) with her husband Lincoln Lee; and Olivia & Fauxlivia bringing the boy back from Liberty Island to Battery Park (Coal Harbour) where Olivia & boy will cross back over. 5×13 features Broyles captured (under Cambie Bridge) by Observers & Loyalist soliders; an explosive battle against Windmark & Co. (on Port Metro Vancouver land) and final scenes at a POlivia house (in Burnaby) all directed by Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman.
- Friday, January 18th – Once Upon a Time films more of big fight inside Mr. Gold’s in Steveston.
- Friday, January 18th – Vancouver detective series Motive films near Granville and King Edward.
- Friday, Janary 18th – Commercial films at Broadway Plaza.
- Thursday, January 17th – Once Upon a Time films on its floating pirate ship set at Britannia Heritage Shipyard Park and inside Mr. Gold’s in Steveston.
- Thursday, January 17th – TVLine gets Sneak Peek at The CW promo images of Supernatural 1×12 As Time Goes By featuring Gil McKinney as Sam & Dean’s paternal grandfather Henry
- Thursday, January 17th – TVLine gets First Look at The CW promo images of Arrow 1×12 Vertigo featuring Seth Gabel as “The Count”, a nefarious drug dealerRead More »WEEK: January 14-20, 2013
- Sunday, November 4th – Emma steals her yellow VW bug w/ Michael Raymond-James inside on Once Upon a Time‘s 2×06 Tallahassee, also featuring Jorge Garcia as The Giant.
- Sunday, November 4th – Misha Collins’s international scavenger hunt has a stop in Stanley Park at 2nd Beach. Photo by Sarah Anderson.
- Sunday, November 4th – It’s Movember and the Arrow cast & crew vows to fight prostate cancer like corruption in Starling City by raising $50,000.
- Friday, November 2nd – On Fringe‘s fifth episode of its final season, Etta becomes a Resistance poster and Peter becomes Observer #1?
- Friday, November 2nd – FOX announces date for Fringe series finale — January 18, 2013.
- Friday, November 2nd – City sitcom Package Deal tapes in front of live studio audience in Burnaby.
- Friday, November 2nd – Supernatural films its LARPing (Live Action Role Play) episode in Coquitlam’s Mundy Park.
- Friday, November 2nd – Arrow releases exclusive first look photo of Jessica De Gouw in costume as The Huntress to EW.com.
- Thursday, November 1st – Horns films in Fort Langley with Mr. Harry Potter, aka Daniel Radcliffe, on set.
- Thursday, November 1st – USA Network officially cancels Fairly Legal with Sarah Shahi & Michael Trucco & Ryan Johnson after two sesons of filming in Vancouver.
- Thursday, November 1st – Psych wraps filming of its seventh season in Vancouver. Cast photo of the 121 Days
- Thursday, November 1st – Arrow films Stephen Amell chasing a motorcycle in an alley off Dunsmuir.
- Wednesday, October 31st – Dean, Benny & Castiel fighting monsters in Purgatory and Dean & Benny fight vampirates on Supernatural episode 8×05 directed by fan favourite Guy Norman Bee.
- Wednesday, October 31st – John Barrowman’s debut as the Well-Dressed Man on Arrow in episode four.
- Wednesday, October 31st – Rogue films in Kerrisdale.
- Wednesday, October 31st – Happy Halloween Psych-os. James Roday & Dule Hill filming with the BlueBerry east of Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver
- Tuesday, October 30th – Emily Owens M.D.’s third episode had a scene at UBC’s Irving K Barber Learning Centre of Jason Hartley Read More »WEEK: October 29 – November 4, 2012
- Sunday, September 23rd – Arrow films at Riverview Hosptial in Coquitlam with recurring guest actor John Barrowman on set.
- Saturday, September 22nd – Rogue’s Marton Csokas films scenes at Bentall 5 tower in downtown Vancouver dressed as Trade Investments.
- Friday, September 21st – Once Upon a Time filmsd scenes on Moncton Street in the village of Steveston south of Vancouver in a night shoot.
- Friday, September 21st – Joshua Jackson uses his LUNCH break from Fringe to go introduce his new Canadian film Inescapable at a Vancouver screening.
- Friday, September 21st – Arrow‘s Stephen Amell does his own running stunt at Queen Consolidated, aka downtown Vancouver tower at West Georgia & Homer, chasing a shooter on a motorcycle.
- Thursday, September 20th – Fringe‘s Joshua Jackson sits in the red chair for a pre-taped interview about his Canadian film Inescapable on CBC’s George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight.
- Thursday, September 20th – FOX releases new Fringe poster for fifth and final season featuring Joshua Jackson, Anna Torv and John Noble as resistance fighters against Observer overlords in 2036.
- Thursday, September 20th – The CW releases new Supernatural season eight teaser of Sam and Dean reunion in unique Winchester way.
- Thursday, September 20th – Mob series Red Widow films in the Burnaby Youth Detention Centre, possibly in the cells.
- Thursday, September 20th – Psych films interior scenes at 303 West Pender and 330 West Pender in downtown Vancouver.
- Thursday, September 20th – Fringe films for second day in seedy Gastown hotel, directed by Jon Cassar.
- Wednesday, September 19th – Fringe filmsd first day in seedy Gastown hotel, directed by Jon Cassar.
- Wednesday, September 19th – Rogue films in a house overlooking Deer Lake in Burnaby, on a street so clogged with white work trucks they couldn’t fit in one more.
- Tuesday, September 18th – Youngest member of Red Widow mob family does his own stunt at Victory Square downtown.
- Tuesday, September 18th – Jorge Garcia, who’s been cast as The Giant on Once Upon a Time, spotted walking Read More »WEEK: September 17-23 2012
A Claire-Hurley Lost reunion may be happening sooner than expected on the set of ABC’s Once Upon a Time. Jorge Garcia, who’s been cast as the… Read More »Jorge Garcia Back in Vancouver as ONCE UPON A TIME’s The Giant for 2×06 Tallahassee
Published March 26, 2012 on Vancouver is Awesome
In 1963 the prisoners on Alcatraz disappeared. Now they’re coming back. You won’t believe what happens next on Alcatraz. – teases FOX’s Alcatraz Highlight Reel for the two-hour season finale tonight, almost all of it filmed in rain-drenched Vancouver, except for two-and-a-half minutes of a Bullitt-inspired car chase filmed on the sun-drenched streets of San Francisco.
The 13-episode first season of Alcatraz tells the saga of a secret agency dedicated to finding and catching inmates from the infamous San Francisco prison gone missing 50 years ago and reappearing today. It stars petite blonde-bobbed Sarah Jones as police detective Rebecca Madsen; Jorge Garcia from Lost as her partner, Alcatraz expert Dr. Diego “Doc” Soto; and Sam Neill as Emerson Hauser, her mysterious boss with a past life on Alcatraz. The fourth person of interest in this secret squad is Hauser’s equally mysterious partner Lucy Banerjee, played by Parminder Nagra of ER, who was shot by the sniper convict Ernest Cobb during the second episode and then revealed to have her own past life on Alcatraz as hasn’t-aged-a-day psychiatrist-to-the-inmates Dr. Lucille Sengupta.
Showrunners teased several big moments ahead of tonight’s finale during the Alcatraz panel at WonderCon over the March break, including Lucy’s reintegration back into present day after finally waking up from her coma. Below is Parminder Nagra filming scenes with Jorge Garcia and Sam Neill in late February outside Belkin House downtown dressed as the MacAlister Institute. In the second photo there is little to suggest the romantic attachment which formed between Nagra and Neill’s characters in their past lives on Alcatraz, when Hauser was a young policeman. But I only caught part of their reunion.
The bigger reveal about tonight’s finale is that Sarah Jones’s Detective Madsen will chase after and confront her Alcatraz inmate grandfather Tommy Madsen in a Bullitt-inspired car chase filmed for three days in San Francisco (it took the crew of Bullitt nine days to film the original chase for the 1968 movie). I’d hoped that they’d use the Highland Green 1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT 2+2 Fastback that Jones’s character Rebecca Madsen has been driving in Vancouver — the exact colour, make and model of the Mustang that Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt — but I guess there wasn’t time to ship it down to San Francisco for the shoot or to rebuild it so that it could do the stunt driving.
FOX promo photos show a Deep Impact Blue 2013 Mustang GT speeding down a San Franciso hill. Sarah Jones did fly down to film scenes there but a stunt double did the driving. Jones hadn’t filmed in San Francisco since the pilot, which I wrote about in my first #YVRShoots series post on Alcatraz.