- Sunday, April 28th – Vancouver cop-from-the -future series Continuum 2×02 airs on Showcase. Some of it filmed in Squamish with Rachel Nichols in a big helicopter scene. New York Times’s Neil Genzlinger wrote about his Squamish set visit in TV article praising the series.
- Sunday, April 28th – Red Widow 1×07 The Coke airs on ABC. Marta (Radha Mitchell) learns new information about her husband’s killer. Photos of one of the deaths filmed in Downtown Eastside alley.
- Sunday, April 28th – Once Upon a Time 2×20 The Evil Queen airs on ABC. Hook pretends to help Regina (Lana Parilla) with a plan to transport her and Henry (Jared Padalecki) back to Fairytale land. Big scene of Regina talking to Henry filmed in Steveston. And in flashbacks, the Evil Queen gets Rumplestiltskin to transform her into a peasant so she can kill Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin). Village scenes were filmed in Robert Burnaby Park in Burnaby in front of visiting #EvilRegals fans (one from Mozambique). Look for opening scene of The Dark one (Robert Carlyle) & The Tramp (Emilie de Ravin) staggering out of the “Rabbit Hole” pub in Steveston too.
- Sunday, April 28th – Latest buzz from Deadline’s Primetime Pilot Panic says Wonderland (Once Upon a Time spinoff) “penciled in” and Big Thunder a “major contender” at ABC; I Am a Victor with John Stamos has a shot at NBC; Human with Karl Urban”still solid” at FOX; Intelligence with Josh Holloway and Backstrom with Rainn Wilson in the mix at CBS; The 100 still under consideration at The CW but no mention of Blink.
- Sunday, April 28th – Upcoming TNT series King & Maxwell preps Incendio in Gastown for before and after explosion shoots next week.
- Saturday, April 28th – Arrow‘s Colton Haynes attends the White House Correspondents Dinner. WHCD’s hilarious & apt hashtag is #nerdprom.
- Saturday, April 27th – King & Maxwell films downtown at two locations, the last at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre.
- Saturday, April 27th – ABC Christmas movie Christmas Bounty wraps three nights (April 25-27th) of overnight filming in holiday-decorated Coquitlam Centre mall.
- Friday, April 26th – Vancouver director Jeff Renfroe’s new Ice Age thriller The Colony opens nationwide in Canada. YVRShoots series interview with Renfroe.
- Friday, April 26th – Vancouver director Jesse James Miller’s endearing 1970s-set film Becoming Redwood premieres in Toronto at Cineplex Yonge & Dundas. YVRShoots series interview with Miller.
- Friday, April 26th – Robert Redford’s Weather Underground film The Company You Keep starring Shia LaBeouf and Redford opens in theatres. Filmed at Vancouver Art Gallery, Georgia Hotel and other locations around Vancouver.
- Friday, April 26th – Continuum films inside CBC Vancouver.
- Friday, April 26th – Arrow actors Byron Mann and Celina Jade featured in Vancouver Sun article about actors making it big in China.
- Friday, April 26th – Entertainment Weekly scoop about season 3 of Falling Skies.
- Friday, April 26th – Entertainment Weekly’s excusive season 3 trailer for The Killing features Peter Sarsgaard as death-row inmate.
- Thursday, April 25th – Joel Kinnaman & Mireille Enos film a walk-and-talk for The Killing near Cobalt Hotel on Main Street. Then moved into parking lot behind for scene in car.
- Thursday, April 25th – Continuum films inside CBC Vancouver and on Cambie Street.
- Thursday, April 25th – Vancouver whydunit Motive 1×10 airs. Dustin Milligan guest-stars Read More »WEEK: April 22-28, 2013
- Sunday, April 21st – Continuum 2×01 debuts on Showcase. Invisible fighting at CBC Vancouver parking garage. Shown to be Kiera (Rachel Nichols) in her black high-tech cat suit. Mayor shot at Vancouver Public Library. Kiera meets Carlos (Victor Webster) at Vanier Park with the Burrard Bridge and West End as backdrop. And the crime scene for mayor shot at Vancouver Public Library with Kiera & Carlos on set. Kiera later investigates the kill shot with her head tech and points to the apartment it came from. Kiera and Alec (Erik Knudsen) talk at Vanier Park. And the final VFX by Artifex: a time lapse of sea level rising in English Bay and dam being built while West End skyline changes.
- Sunday, April 21st – Once Upon a Time 2×19 Lacey: Father-and-son (Bae & Henry) have play swordfight watched by grandfather Rumplestiltskin, who chooses that moment to tell Regina that Henry is his grandson. Regina takes revenge by turning Belle into her cursed self, the scantily-clad barfly Lacey. Plus unexpected guest star Jorge Garcia back as Anton and introducing Tom Ellis as Robin Hood and Wil Traval as the Sheriff of Nottingham.
- Sunday,April 21st – Deadline’s Primetime Pilot Panic: The Latest Buzz gives CBS pilot Intelligence a nod because of its “hunky actor” Josh Holloway & deems CBS pilot Backstrom with Rainn Wilson “a wild card”. Fox pilot Human with Karl Urban is called “strong”. ABC pilot Big Thunder & presentation OnceWonderland have buzz & preliminary good notices because in house. The CW pilot The 100 has lost steam but still in contention, Deadline says. But no mention of NBC pilot I Am Victor with John Stamos or The CW pilot Blink.
- Sunday, April 21st – Second day of Fan Expo Vancouver at Canada Place.
- Sunday, April 21st – Lord of the Rings actor & Fan Expo Vancouver guest Sean Astin wears Boston shirt in Vancouver Sun Run to honour the Boston Marathon victims
- Sunday, April 21st – Arrow wraps filming of its first hit season early in the morning.
- Saturday, April 20th – Arrow films fight scene with Stephen Amell on the Hudson’s Bay rooftop overnight. Photos to come.
- Saturday, April 20th – Simon Pegg’s Hector and the Search for Happiness wraps filming here after a three-day shoot (April 18-20) in a Yaletown penthouse.
- Saturday, April 20th – First day of Fan Expo Vancouver at Canada Place. YVRShoots series: Continuum panel & Cosplay.
- Friday, April 19th – Godzilla films at old paper recycling plant in Coquitlam on Fraser River.
- Thursday, April 18th – Supernatural wraps filming of season eight.
- Thursday, April 18th – Bravo pilot Rita with Anna Gunn films at the University of British Columbia.
- Thursday, April 18th – Continuum films at CBC Vancouver.
- Thursday, April 18th – PaleyFest announces Bates Motel evening on May 10th – Reimagining a Cinema Icon – with cast Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot, Nestor Carbonell, Olivia Cooke, Nicola Peltz and showrunners Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin.
- Wednesday, April 17th – Season two finale of Arctic Air goes interactive on CBC. Krista (Pascale Hutton) breaks up with Bobby (Adam Beach) at the airport. Read More »WEEK: April 15-21, 2013
- Sunday, April 14th – Once Upon a Time recap The Price of Magic airs, narrated by Alan Dale with help from showrunners Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz.
- Sunday, Arpil 14th – Bravo pilot Rita with Anna Gunn (Breaking Brad) and Josh Hamilton films at West Vancouver Community Centre.
- Saturday, Arpil 13th – First Weekend Club event at 7:50 p.m. showing of Vancouver feature Becoming Redwood at International Village. Q&A with some cast and producers after film, followed by drinks at Gastown’s Portside Pub.
- Saturday, April 13th – Simon Pegg’s Hector & the Search for Happiness films at Burrard Ironworks
- Saturday, April 13th – Deadline: Hollywood’s Primetime Pilot Panic Early Buzz 2 with nods to ABC pilot Big Thunder, ABC short presentation Once Wonderland, The CW’s The 100, NBC’s I Am Victor and Bravo’s Rita but FOX pilot Human still listed by earlier title InHuman.
- Saturday, April 13th – Canada becoming sci-fi leader led by Vancouver’s own cop-from-the-future series Continuum. Globe and Mail Arts article.
- Friday, April 12th – Vancouver feature Becoming Redwood opens at Internatiional Village. Interview with Vancouver writer-director Jesse James Miller in YVRShoots Series for Vancouver is Awesome.
- Friday, April 12th – ABC short presentation Once Wonderland (potential Once Upon a Time spinoff) with Sophie Lowe as Alice wraps filming in Vancouver.
- Friday, April 12th – CBS pilot Backstrom with Rainn Wilson as House-like detective wraps filming in Vancouver.
- Friday, April 12th – Man of Steel’s Henry Cavill on cover of Entertainment Weekly’s Summer Movies issue.
- Friday, April 12th – 3rd season set, prop & costume sale for hit sitcom Mr. Young at Burnaby studio (5828 Byrne Rd). April 12 (10am-4pm)
- Friday, April 12th – Globe and Mail reports amalgamation of B.C. Film Commission and B.C. Film + Media into Creative BC in a bid to help Save BC Film.
- Friday, April 12th – TVLine gets official confirmation that Curtis Armstrong is Metatron, the scribe of God, in Supernatural. Saw Armstrong filming with Misha Collins in Deep Cove.
- Thursday, April 11th – Arrow films season finale overnight at Terminal City Ironworks complex in east Vancouver. Stephen Amell on set.
- Thursday, April 11th – The Killing films on trails past Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam.
- Thursday, April 11th – Set, prop & costume sale for sitcom Mr. Young at Burnaby studio (5828 Byrne Rd). April 11 (12-4 pm) ending after three seasons.
- Thursday, April 11th – Words and Pictures seeks bike rider extras for filming on Monday April 15.
- Wednesday, April 10th – Amanda Tapping-directed Arctic Air 2×12 airs, with Dragons’ Den dragon David Chilton (The Wealthy Barber) guest-starring as himself in Burnaby as Calgary.
- Wednesday, April 10th – Psych wedding on 7×07 directed by James Roday as Lassie (Timothy Omundson) marries his gal Marlowe (Kristy Swanson). But first the bachelor party.
- Wednesday, April 10th – Rogue 1×03 Cathy’s Song with Grace (Thandie Newton) discovering link between one of Jimmy (Marton Csokas)’s associates and her son’s death on
Read More »WEEK: April 8-14, 2013
Update: July 26, 2013. Bravo passes on the pilot Rita. Will not be picked up to series.
Crew for Bravo’s first original drama pilot Rita turned the east parking lot of the West Vancouver Community Centre into a rich parents’ pickup point for fictional Connecticut private school Cabott Academy today. Adapted from a Danish series, Rita (Anna Gunn of Breaking Bad) is a forthright but witty teacher at Cabott Academy, one with a different view of life than the affluent, overprotective parents of her students. In a scene this afternoon, she walks out of the school’s Learning Annex where she has words with a parent and then talks with the school prinicpal Terrence (Josh Hamilton), who has a big crush on the sexy staffer, before she walks away.
It sounds like an easy scene to shoot until you consider the dozens of student and parent background performers leaving school at the same time and walking through a gridlock of luxury vehicles moving in a small confined area (extras were asked to bring their own high-end cars but wardrobe did a little upgrading to make the drivers look more like American east coast 1 per-centers). Director Miguel Arteta used a technocrane to cover the melee of students leaving and a second camera to focus on the two cast members.
Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman directing series finale in Vancouver Updated: April 12, 2013 Seven TV pilots start filming in Vancouver this month, spread out among… Read More »TV PILOTS: American TV Pilot Season Starts in Vancouver Today with Joel Wyman’s ALMOST HUMAN
- Sunday, February 17th – Once Upon a Time 2×14 Manhattan airs on ABC/CTV with Rumple (Robert Carlyle), Henry (Jared Gilmore) and Emma (Jennifer Morrison) in Gastown turned into Manhattan. And Emma chases and tackles a grey-hoodie man she thinks is Rumple’s son Bae.
- Sunday, February 17th- Vancouver crime drama Motive 1×3 airs on CTV, filmed in Queen Elizabeth Theatre as cruise ship terminal.
- Friday, February 15th – Godzilla reboot with Bryan Cranston, Eliabeth Olsen and Aaron Johnson and a script by The Walking Dead’s Frank Darabont gets filming dates on BC Production list. March 1st to June 1st
- Friday, February 15th – American TV pilots Backstrom (CBS), Big Thunder (ABC), Blink (The CW), Joel Wyman’s InHuman (FOX) and Rita (Bravo), appear on BC Production List. For details click here.
- Thursday, February 14th – Arrow films in the 1800 block Franklin Street and inside the Terminal City Ironworks complex in east Vancouver.
- Thursday, February 14th – Supernatural films inside the Ivanhoe Hotel and outside on Station Street.
- Thursday, February 14th – Motive films in North Vancouver near Marine Way & Capilano.
- Thursday, February 14th – Continuum creator Simon Barry nominated for Writers Guild of Canada Screenwriter Award. Also on cover of Screenwriter magazine.
- Thursday, February 14th – Continuum films on Kellogg’s yacht, inside the police station set and in the trees next to Edgewater Casino.
- Wednesday, February 13th – A polar bear on Arctic Air 2×6. And she’s big and cranky. Read More »WEEK: February 11-17, 2013
UPDATED June 30, 2013 From famine to feast. B.C.’s film and TV production industry is bouncing back from a dismal start to the new year.… Read More »Famine to Feast: GODZILLA, DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES & American TV Pilots – Updated