- Friday, January 25th – Continuum films scenes of Victor Webster at Vanier Park near Burrard Bridge and of Rachel Nichols in her black hi-tech cat suit doing a stunt kick at a night shoot with rain towers at the CBC Vancouver parking garage Later a green skin-suited double performs more stunts.
- Friday, January 25th – Vancouver sitcom Package Deal wraps taping of its first season in front of live studio audience in Burnaby, starring Randal Edwards, Julia Voth, Harland Williams and Jay Malone.
- Friday, January 25th – FOX orders JJ Abrams/Joel Wyman robot cops pilot, which could be filmed in Vancouver this March with former Fringe crew.
- Friday, January 25th – TVLine gets scoop of John Pyper-Ferguson casting as widower on Once Upon a Time.
- Thursday, January 24th – EW magazine gets First Look at Cult‘s creepy-cool key art, featuring Matt Davis, Jessica Lucas, Alona Tal and Robert Knepper
- Thursday, January 24th – TVLine gets First Look at Once Upon a Time‘s “Jack” of Beanstalk Fame.
- Thursday, January 24th – Supernatural films for 3rd & final day at Vancouver westside warehouse on 4th & Alberta. All inside.
- Thursday, January 24th – The CW releases an extended promo of Seth Gabel as “The Count” for Arrow 1×12 Vertigo
- Wednesday, January 23rd – Filmed-in-Vancouver-and-Yellowknife Arctic Air airs 2×3 Open Season, featuring the return of Nelson.
- Wednesday, January 23rd – Supernatural airs 8×11 LARP and the Real Girl with Sam & Dean in facepaint & cosplay in Coquitlam’s Mundy Park.
- Wednesday, January 23rd – Arrow airs 1×11 Trust and Verify guest-starring Ben Browder with key scenes filmedRead More »WEEK: January 21-27, 2013
- Sunday, January 13th – Once Upon a Time 2×12 The Outsider has Rumple finding a way to cross the town border without losing his memory of his son Bae, Hook stealing Bae’s cloak, a Rumple vs Hook showdown and then a big twist involving Rumple’s beloved Belle.
- Sunday, January 13th – CTV airs a promo for Vancouver detective series Motive during the Golden Globes with the tagline: The Murder is Just the Beginning. Debuts on February 3rd after the Superbowl on CTV.
- Sunday, January 13th – Cult panel at the Television Critics Association (TCA) winter press tour, with cast Matt Davis, Jessica Lucas, Robert Knepper and Alona Tal and Farscape creator Rockne O’Bannon. Debuts February 19th on The CW.
- Sunday, January 13th – The CW president Mark Pedowitz says new version of Vancouver-filmed pilot The Selection still in contention for pilot order. Tells TCA winter press tour that he loves the new script.
- Friday, January 11th – Fringe 5×11 The Boy Must Live – the third-to-last episode features naked Walter in deprivation tank and father-son bonding between Walter and Peter and between September and his son, the child Observer! Oh, and someone must die for the plan to work.
- Friday, January 11th – Arrow Fraturday: star Stephen Amell steals a motorcyle in a scene at Portal Park as news breaks of his Christmas wedding to longtime girlfriend Cassandra Jean; his stunt double rides the motorcycle down the stairs at Oceanic Plaza and over a prop Starling City cab into prop traffic on West Hastings. Arrow crew then moves to underground parking at the Vancouver Convention Centre to film overnight scenes until Saturday morning.
- Friday, January 11th – Supernatural Fraturday: films overnight again inside Century House in downtown Vancouver.
- Friday, January 11th – City releases promo image of sitcom Package Deal, featuring Randal Edwards, Julia Voth, Harland Williams and Jay Malone.
- Thursday, January 10th – Sitcom Package Deal tapes in front of live studio audience in Burnaby.
- Thursday, January 10th – Once Upon a Time films at Deer Lake Park with Charming, Snow & Henry on set.
- Thursday, January 10th – Arrow films at the PNE
- Thursday, January 10th – Supernatural films inside Century House in downtown Vancouver.
- Thursday, January 10th – Red Widow panel at TCA winter press tour. Debuts March 3rd on ABC.
- Thursday, January 10th – News via @Lemon_Buzz that feature film Ninja Turtles closed its Vancouver production office and opened a NYC production office = Vancouver loses another feature film.
- Thurday, January 10th – Premier Christy Clark’s BC Jobs Plan boosts several industries but not our declining film & TV biz. Click on the SAVE BC FILM petition and sign it to let her know the cost to the province of losing film & TV productions to places with better tax credits.
- Wednesday, January 9th – Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman and cast Lance Reddick present early screening Read More »WEEK: January 7-13, 2013
If TV pilot The Selection is The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor, as described by TV Guide, does that mean that The Selection bachelorettes will fight each other to the death? Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights) stars as a poor girl chosen by lottery to enter a fierce competition to marry the Prince and become the next Queen of a war-torn nation far in the future. I didn’t see Amy Teegarden as America Singer, William Mosely as servant Aspen or Ethan Peck as Prince Maxim on set, but did visit all of their shooting locations. And eventually managed to photograh Pieta Sergeant below as rebel leader Gaia.
On the first day of filming, The Selection set up a village market inside the Terminal City Ironworks complex in east Vancouver with Aimee Teegarden on set as young America Singer. I dropped by too early to see the market scene, catching a glimpse through an open gate of prop wagons and stalls still covered in plastic.
Scenes of America saying goodbye to her village were shot over three days at the Britannia Heritage Shipyards in Steveston, captured beautifully by commercial photographer Clayton Perry in his The Selection photoset on Flickr. In Perry’s photos you can see villager extras holding up hand-lettered signs on cardboard reading: Queen America, We Love You America, Make us Proud, America Our Next Queen. William Mosley’s Aspen was also on set but when I dropped by the filming was behind one of the xxx.
To depict the war-torn country, The Selection went north on the Sea to Sky highway to the Squamish Municipal Airport for scenes of fighting with Royal forces on an airport runway. I zoomed in but couldn’t pick out Peta Sergeant on set as the rebel leader fighting the Head of the Military.
Scenes from the royal palace must have been filmed at Hycroft, the University Women’s Club in Shaughnessy,Read More »The-Hunger-Games-Meets-The-Bachelor TV pilot THE SELECTION
Published April 11, 2012 on Vancouver is Awesome. In mid-May, the five American broadcast networks start to unveil their fall plans in New York and we… Read More »BIG READ: ARROW and Seven Other TV Pilots Await Their Fate