Almost Human experienced the Vancouver rainocalypse at full force on Friday night, with rain bouncing off the pavement at the Hornby Plaza shoot downtown. Poor crew.… Read More »SHOOT: ALMOST HUMAN’s Michael Ealy & Michael Irby Film in a Downtown Deluge for 1×07 Simon Says
FOX summer TCA panel, August 1, 2013. Showrunner J.H. Wyman confirmed what was suspected in Vancouver. The pilot that people have seen in screeners and… Read More »TCA NEWS: ALMOST HUMAN Reshot Some of its Vancouver Pilot This Summer
One Broken Man. One of a Kind Machine. Their Future. Is Definitely. Unwritten.
Almost Human showrunner Joel Wyman shared the official trailer for the new filmed-in-Vancouver series shown at the FOX Upfront in New York today. The look and style of this pilot is even better than expected. Especially the dry humour and banter between this buddy cop duo of part-robot human and part-human robot.
[sz-youtube url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwxg534yAw” /]
Almost Human is scheduled to air on Mondays at 8 p.m. on FOX this fall after the World Series.
Who is the human? And who is the android?
Human John Kennex (Karl Urban of Star Trek) and android Dorian (Michael Ealy) are police partners investigating crimes in Los Angeles 35 years from now. But in this partnership, the android displays more emotions than the human because John is shut down after getting seriously hurt on a mission. From J.J. Abrams and former Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman, this new series pays homage to Fringe in so many ways. The production used many of the former Vancouver Fringe crew as well as its production signs BELLY. Some of the set dressing looked familiar too, with futuristic kiosks like Quick Volt electric car stations and Quick Stands offering everything from Experience Enhancers to Intellect Expanders and Synthetic Pets on set. Almost Human filmed for three weeks in the Vancouver area in familiar Fringe locations from the downtown business district to Gastown’s Winters Hotel to under the Cambie Bridge to the Terminal City Ironworks complex dressed like a Blue Light district.
Crew for the FOX pilot Almost Human (formerly Human) built a futuristic coffee kiosk on a sidewalk under the Cambie Bridge to shoot a scene on Easter Monday of masked kidnappers abducting a plainclothes Los Angeles police officer and driving away. I got there too late to see the abduction so I don’t know which actor was taken, but this is probably the officer whom John Kennex (Karl Urban of Star Trek) and his android cop partner Dorian (Michael Ealy) try to rescue from Gastown’s Winters Hotel.
J.J. Abrams and Fringe showrunner Joel Wyman’s futuristic buddy cop show is about LAPD officers partnered with androids and focuses on one particular pairing between John Kemnex and android Dorian, where the android displays more emotions than the human because the human is shut down after getting seriously hurt on a mission. Other characters include a cop-with-strong-morals Valerie Stahl (Minka Kelly), another police officer (Michael Irby) and the police captain (Lili Taylor).
Brad Anderson (The Machinist) directed the pilot not Joel Wyman but Wyman was in Vancouver overseeing production. I spotted him without his mohawk on set last week conferring with Anderson between takes under the Cambie Bridge.
[sz-youtube url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m657-K0hyk&feature=youtu.be” /]
- Sunday, March 10th – Red Widow 1×03 The Consignment starring Radha Mitchell and Goran Visnjic has scene of youngest cast member Jakob Salvati doing own stunt near Victory Square dowtown.
- Sunday, March 10th – Motive 1×05 Public Enemy about murder of health food guru starring Kristin Lehman and Louis Ferreira.
- Sunday, March 10th – Once Upon a Time 1×16 The Miller’s Daughter. Emma, Bae, Henry and the dying Rumple sail from Manhattan to Storybrooke, aka Steveston pirate ship set. Big sword fight showdown — Good vs Evil — inside Mr. Gold’s in Steveston. Who will die? #onewilldie.
- Sunday, March 10th – TV movie Window Wonderland with Chyler Leigh of Grey’s Anatomy films outside Holt Renrew downtown for 3rd day in a row.
- Saturday, March 9th – Arrow panel at PaleyFest with Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Susannah Thompson & executive producers. From panel: Amell cast with his shirt on! Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman) is “evil Bruce Wayne”. Expect slow build to Black Canary and Speedy (Colton Haynes). Mysterious genre guest star coming. Not as much as VFX as you’d think except for the arrows — all CGIed.
- Saturday, March 9th – Stunt rehearsals with Josh Holloway on Fraser River for CBS pilot Intelligence.Photo from @SidneySewell.
- Saturday, March 9th – TV movie Window Wonderland with Chyler Leigh of Grey’s Anatomy films outside Holt Renfrew downtown
- Friday, March 8th – Arrow‘s David Ramsey films in The Pinnacle hotel and then at night Paul Blackthorne and Colton Haynes on The Pier aka Burrard Dry Dock Pier in North Vancouver.
- Friday, March 8th – The Killing films a night shoot in Gastown.
- Friday, March 8th – Cult airs on its new night. 1×03 has big stunt of train on Langley tracks hitting a car plus scenes of Matt Davis & Jessica Lucas at UBC.
- Friday, March 8th – Movie Robocop to do reshoots in Vancouver not Toronto this May to accomodate star Joel Kinnaman who is filming season 3 of The Killing here. Via latest BC Production List.
- Friday, March 8th – Isaiah Washington (Dr. Burke from Grey’s Anatomy) joins cast of CW pilot The 100.
- Friday, March 8th – TV movie Winter Wonderland with Chyler Leigh of Grey’s Anatomy films outside Holt Renfrew downtown
- Thursday, March 7th – Once Upon a Time films Fairy Tale Land scenes in Robert Burnaby Park with Lana Parrilla Read More »WEEK: March 4-10, 2013