Update: Arrow showcased Vancouver’s Orpheum Theatre in the October 14th episode, The Candidate. Oliver Queen/Stephen Amell stood in a crowd in the lobby and then… Read More »SHOOT: ARROW’s Stephen Amell Does Stunt Behind Vancouver’s Orpheum Theatre
Arrow is synonymous with action. On tonight’s menu at Port Metro Vancouver, Arrow stunt double Simon Burnett rappels down a zip wire from a lift… Read More »STUNT: ARROW Stunt Rehearsal at Port Metro Vancouver for 2×12 – Updated
An explosion at a “Sebastian Blood for Mayor” unity rally in Starling City Square brings Arrow on his motorcycle. That was the hit CW show’s… Read More »SHOOT: “Sebastian Blood for Mayor” Unity Rally for ARROW at Robson Square for 2×10
The Hood is back for Arrow season two. Stephen Amell showed us why he’s the star of Arrow, even with his shirt on last Friday night. Not every actor is capable of the kind of integrated stuntwork that Arrow does routinely. Amell is almost always part of a stunt so that it looks seamless on screen. And sometimes he does all of it, especially if the scene calls for running fast. Here are Amell and stunt double Simon Burnett talking through the night’s stunts with the Arrow Stunt Department on set below the Downtown Eastside’s Hasting Overpass.
The Arrow Stunt Department spent most of last Friday rehearsing in the sunshine for an integrated stunt to be filmed later that night of star Stephen Amell and Hood stunt double Simon Burnett shooting a rope ascender arrow up in the air and then rising on the zipline several stories off the ground. I didn’t hear about the shoot until quite late because I expected Arrow to be filming on private Port Metro Vancouver land, not in the Downtown Eastside with a grandstand public view from the Hastings Overpass. It turned out to be a relatively private location though, because people don’t loiter in that part of east Hastings at night unless they’re hookers, pimps, dealers or locals. I was mistaken for one of these by a guy in a BMW and later had a lengthy, circular conversation with one of the locals about gentrification of the neighbourhood.
From the overpass, you could look down on the crane, wires, stunt mats and dozens of people who make up the Arrow Stunt Department. Two of the men behind the best stunts on TV were present: stunt coordinator J.J.Makaro, who picked up a Leo Award for stunt coordination of the Arrow pilot last month, and fight designer James “Bam Bam” Bamford, who won his own Leo for stunt co-ordination of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn. Arrow’s stunt department is doing double duty this season, designing stunts for Arrow and new series The Tomorrow People starring Robbie Amell, for what is being called Amell Wednesdays on The CW.
- Sunday, July 14th – Vancouver-cop-from-the-future series Continuum 2×10 Second Wave airs on Showcase: Kiera (Rachel Nichols) attends one of Julian (Richard Harmon)’s anti-corporate rallies filmed in Gastown’s Blood Alley Square with 250 police/protester background performers.
- Sunday, July 14th – The Killing 3×08 Try airs on AMC: Pastor Mike (Ben Cotton) abducts Sarah Linden (Mireille Enos). Bullet (Bex Taylor-Klaus) makes a choice to save Lyric (Julia Sarah Stone). The Province’s Glen Schaefer interviewed Julia Sarah Stone about her street kid role last month.
- Sunday, July 14th – Falling Skies 3×07 The Pickett Line airs on TNT: Tom (Noah Wyle) and sons Hal (Drew Roy), Ben (Connor Jessup) and Matt (Maxim Knight) leave Charleston to look for Anne (Moon Bloodgood) and baby Alexis, who have been captured by Karen (Jessy Scram). And the mole is revealed.
- Sunday, July 14th – Legendary Pictures releases a pre-taped message from Godzilla director Gareth Edwards about San Diego Comic-Con viral campaign.
- Saturday, July 13th – Glee star Cory Monteith, age 31, found dead at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel. My brief post.
- Saturday, July 13th – Dinosaurs-run-amok-in-Vancouver series Primeval: New World 1×06 Cleanup on Aisle Three airs on Syfy in the U.S. Filmed in a Canadian Tire store and directed by Amanda Tapping.
- Friday, July 12th – Arrow Season 2 films overnight near Hastings Overpass in east Vancouver. Crew celebrated Colton Haynes’s 25th birthday with a cake. Stephen Amell on set in full costume as The Hood. And his stunt double Simon Burnett did stunt which hoisted him up in the air for three takes. Nearby Raymur Street was dressed as The Glades post-earthquake.
- Friday, July 12th – Continuum 2×11 airs on Syfy in the U.S.: Kiera (Rachel Nichols) sees the work of a future serial killer in a murder.
- Friday, July 12th – The CW airs Cult‘s the final final episodes 1×12 and 1×13 , starring Matt Davis, in a two-hour block.
- Friday, July 12th – Once Upon a Time films season 3 on its sound stages at The Bridge Studios in Vancouver.
- Friday, July 12th – Northern adventure series Arctic Air season 3 starring Adam Beach, Pascale Hutton and Kevin McNulty has an August 6th start date for filming via BC Production List.
- Friday, July 12th – The CW mid-season series The 100 starring Eliza Taylor has an August 26th start date for filming via BC Production List.
- Friday, July 12th – TVLine’s Michael Ausiello reports Virginia Madsen cast in recurring role on Witches of the East End.
- Friday, July 12th – Cyclist writes letter to editor of Vancouver Courier calling $100-million movie Godzilla “trash” for delaying his ride up Cypress Bowl Road in West Vancouver for several minutes.
- Thursday, July 11th -Vancouver whydunnit Motive 1×05 Public Enemy airs on ABC with talented BC Film guest stars: Molly Parker, Camille Sullivan and Cameron Bright.
- Thursday, July 11th – Psych season 8 films Shawn (James Roday) & Gus (Dule Hill) talking smack to Tom Arnold’s character Read More »WEEK: July 8-14, 2013
- Sunday, May 19th – RoboCop starring Joel Kinnaman wraps its fourth & final day (May 16-19) in the Washington Building at Vancouver Shipyards in North Vancouver, Standoff between heroes and villains with simulated gunfire. You could hear the pop, pop, pop sound nearby.
- Saturday, May 18th – Lexus commercial films in downtown Business District.
- Friday, May 17th – Amanda Tapping directs Continuum on Cambie St. and Arch Alley downtown. First a scene with Stephen Lobo and Magda Apanowicz on Cambie. And then a scene with Victor Webster and a corpse in the gravel parking lot off Arch Alley.
- Friday, May 17th – Globe and Mail: Election upset has BC Film industry reeling over lost taxbreaks
- Friday, May 17th – Lifetime series Witches of East End,starring Julia Ormond, back on BC Production List. New filming dates: July 16 to October 21.
- Thursday, May 16th – Godzilla terrorizes Steveston for third night shoot on docks dressed as San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Thursday, May 16th – Vancouver whydunnit Motive season finale airs on CTV with Amanda Tapping guest starring as hot psychologist. Crime scene filmed in David Lam Park in Yaletown.
- Thursday, May 16th – YVRShoots Series – Four filmed-in-Vancouver American pilots Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Almost Human with Karl Urban & Michael Ealy, Intelligence with Josh Holloway and The 100 make it to series. But Intelligence will film its series in Los Angeles not Vancouver.
- Thursday, May 16th – The CW Upfront: The CW becomes the Amell network with cousins Arrow star Stephen Amell & Tomorrow People star Robbie Amell on stage and sharing a childhood photo to a chorus of Awwwws from the audience. The network plans to break up Supernatural and Arrow on Wednesday nights by moving the Winchesters to Tuesdays at 9 p.m. and replacing them with Tomorrow People, a new show which may shift production to Vancouver. But picked up series The 100 is not expected to air until 2014. Here’s a trailer filmed in local forest.
- Thursday May 16th – Continuum films inside CBC Vancouver. Episode directed by Amanda Tapping.
- Thursday, May 16th – The Killing films at Riverview.
- Thursday May 16th – Falling Skies showrunner Remi Aubuchon announces he’s stepping down. David Eick from Battlestar Galactica will take over for season four.
- Wednesday, May 15th – Godzilla in Steveston. Night shoot on docks dressed as San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Wednesday, May 15th – Supernatural season eight finale. Angels fall from Heaven.
- Wednesday, May 15th – Arrow‘s epic season finale. Throughout the taut episode almost every character looked like he/she was about to sacrifice themselves but ultimately Tommy (Colin Donnell) was the one who did, sacrificing himself to save the woman he loved, Lauren (Katie Cassidy). Archer showdown between Emerald Archer (Stephen Amell/stunt double) & Dark Archer (John Barrowman/stunt double) on Hudson’s Bay roof downtown. Read More »WEEK: May 13-19, 2013
Two Men. Two Bows. One Roof.
Emerald Archer vs Dark Archer for the season finale.
A late April rehearsal of Hudson’s Bay rooftop fight scene at dusk in downtown Vancouver, part of Arrow’s final shoot of the season.
Arrow has been building to the ultimate showdown between Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman)’s alter egos for much of the season. Is this it? If so, who will be victorious? It didn’t look good for The Hood from my vantage high above in the Vancouver Lookout at Harbour Centre (often featured in Arrow cityscapes).
Update: The slumped figure near the open door turns out be Diggle (David Ramsey) in the season finale.
Rehearsing catching one of the Hood’s arrows.